About Cape Fear Academy
Cape Fear Academy was incorporated in 1966 and opened its doors in September of 1967. The first class graduated in 1971. It was named for the original Cape Fear Academy, an independent school for boys in Wilmington that operated from 1868 until 1916.
The Academy is a nonprofit corporation governed by an elected Board of Trustees and is a 501(c)(3) organization unaffiliated with any other institution, group or church. The Board is comprised of alumni and parents of current and former students. The purpose of the Board is to set the mission, determine the long- and short-range goals, and assure that the Head of School has adequate financial resources to meet the Board’s goals and the School’s mission.